Be a Catalyst for Change
Research shows that “the public education system is not creating an adequate civic education foundation for all youth,” and a Girl Scout Research Institute poll found that just 38 percent of girls say their teachers have encouraged them to pursue politics and community leadership.
Be a catalyst for change in your community—and the world! Champion your views, influence leadership, and make the world a better place.
Ways to Get Civically Engaged
- Help push our bill, SF 400/HF 292, in the Minnesota Legislature past the finish line! Speak to your legislators about our Girl Scout Bill, legislation that seeks state funding for the Girl Scouts ConnectZ program, a program that brings high-quality leadership programming to over 2,700 girls in the Twin Cities and southern Minnesota.
Watch this training video, and you’ll have all the tools needed to meet with your legislator!
- Volunteer to become an Advocate Champion and help educate elected officials about the impact of the Girl Scout movement.
- Invite girls to share their Girl Scout story and to speak out on issues that matter to them by hosting a G.I.R.L.s in Session dialogue (PDF) with local elected officials.
- This Girl Scout Bill Fact Sheet has all the information your legislator will need to know before voting. Print it out, and leave it with them after your meeting!
- Curious what path our bill is taking in the legislature? Find out more!
- Help girls grow their advocacy skills by checking out the G.I.R.L. Agenda resources from GSUSA.
- Attend Citizenship program events offered this year!
Tell Us How it Went
After you use your Girl Scout voice to connect with your legislator and advocate for Girl Scouts and the issues you care about. Then, tell us how it went using this form.
Girls who hold in person meetings with their legislators will receive a free participation patch. Patches will be mailed in May to the contact provided.
This form will help us track our growing support in the Minnesota legislature and allow Girl Scout staff to follow-up and answer any additional questions your legislator may have. Please also include awesome photos from your visits!
We also encourage you to share your experiences on Social Media! #Mnleg #GIRLagenda #GirlScoutsMNCapitol