Volunteer Essentials provides all the information you need to be a successful Girl Scout volunteer. This guide is filled with information about Girl Scouting such as traditions, responsibilities, awards, and awards. You will also find information specific to volunteering with Girl Scouts River Valleys, such as tools, resources, and policies.
Thank you for making a difference in the lives of girls!
Sharing Your Unique Gifts
Online Resources for Sharing Your Unique Gifts
Girl Scouting as a National Experience
Online Resources for Girl Scouting as a National Experience
- Girl Scouts River Valleys Troop leaders Pages + Planning Guides
- Journeys books in the River Valleys store
- Girls Guides in the River Valleys store:
- Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards
- Map It! Girls Changing the World – A Girl Scouts USA site sharing award projects from around the country.
- Blog highlights of award and troop projects from the River Valleys council
- Court of Awards Guide – Helps you plan your troop’s ceremonies
- Review online trainings to guide you through campouts, sleepovers, and travel with your Girl Scout troop.
- Learn about the destinations program for Girl Scout trips.
- Activity Planning and Approval Forms – Includes all forms related to trips
- Events – Find River Valleys events, sortable by location, type and grade level.
- Camp – Learn about all of the camp offerings, including our overnight and day camps
- Rent Camp Facilities – Learn how to rent camps or other facilities
- Equipment Check-Out – Learn about the resources held by Girl Scouts River Valleys that can be checked-out and/or rented
Engaging Girls at All Grade Levels
Online Resources for Engaging Girls at All Grade Levels
- Feeling Safe: What Girls Say – A study exploring how girls define safety and cope with feeling unsafe
- Girl Scouts Research Institute – Research and public policy information on the development and well-being of girls
- Girl Scouts Advocacy Network – A national network advocating on girl policy issues
- Troop Meeting Plan Template
- River Valleys’ Inclusion Resources
- Equipment Check-Out – River Valleys’ resources and items that can help you include those with disabilities
Safety-Wise Training Video
Online Resources for Safety-Wise
- Use Safety Activity Checkpoints to plan safe activities.
- Get health and safety forms, which includes:
- Parent/Guardian Permission Forms
- Health History Forms
- Medication and Insurance Forms
- Accident Incident Report Form
- Use the inclusion resources for assistance in including all members.
- Take the Girl Scouts Online Safety Pledge.
- Learn background check information.
- Review the River Valleys’ Approved Bus Company list
- Use the Bus Usage Form for council approval.
- Review Minnesota and Wisconsin child safety seat laws
- Find health and Safety forms, including Accident Incident Report form.
- Find First Aid and CPR classes from the Red Cross of Minnesota and Red Cross of Southeast Wisconsin
- View the Anatomy of a First-Aid Kit.
- Complete this online form to request a certificate of insurance. Contact us at 800-845-0787 if you are unclear if you need a COI.
Managing Group Finances
Online Resources for Managing Group Finances
- Finance Forms, which includes:
- Troop Finance Packet
- Finance Report
- Troop Disband Form
- Troop Money-Earning Project and Babysitting Forms
- Troop Sponsorship Forms
- Opening a Bank Account – Watch our video on the process of opening an account.
- Money-earning guidelines
- Minnesota Department of Health (for food stand/community dinner projects)
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture (for bake sales)
- Iowa Department of Public Health (for food stand/community dinner projects)
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services (for food stand/community dinner projects)
- Girl Scouts Online Safety Pledge
- Blog highlights of money-earning projects from the River Valleys council.
- River Valleys’ Cookie Program
- What Can a Cookie Do? – An inspiring video on the cookie program and its impact on girls
- GirlScoutCookies.org – This site has a troop locator to help people buy cookies as well as nutritional details and cookie info.
- Activity Planning and Approval Forms – includes Parent/Guardian permission forms and photo releases
- ForGirls: Girl Scouts USA’s site for girls
Finance-Related Online Trainings
Opening a Bank Account
Opening a Bank Account Resources + Notes
- Since creating this video, the Wells Fargo procedure has changed slightly. Instead of referencing the Designated Bankers spreadsheet, just call your local branch and ask for an appointment with the banker familiar with Girl Scout accounts.
- Offline Training Guide: Opening a Bank Account
Managing Girl Scout Money
Volunteer Policies + Standards
Online Resources for Volunteer Policies + Standards
Girl Scout Shop + Camp Locations
- Learn about River Valleys shops, their hours, closures, and specials
- Find financial assistance information, including shop grants
- Learn how to properly assemble a Girl Scout uniform
- Learn all about Girl Scouts River Valleys’ camp offerings and locations