Parents, guardians and girls trust that Girl Scouts is a safe place for them, and River Valleys does not take that trust lightly. We are committed to maintaining policies and procedures that create a safe environment for girls to discover, connect and take action.
Criminal background checks are one of the strategies used to ensure that girls are safe with us. River Valleys’ policy is to conduct criminal background checks on all new volunteers, and to repeat them on all volunteers every three years.
Frequent Questions about Background ChecksHow do new volunteers get a background check
I have been volunteering for years – why are you asking me to do this again?
How much does a background check cost?
How long does a background check take?
Are you checking my credit? Will this impact my credit rating?
May I provide a previous background check or one from another organization/school?
Do I need to provide my Social Security Number?
If you do not have a social security number, please call us at 800-845-0787 for instructions.
What could exclude me from volunteering with Girl Scouts?
- Registered sex offenders are not eligible for membership in Girl Scouts of the USA and may not participate in any capacity with Girl Scouts. Any adult listed on a sex offender registry (past or present) will not be approved to serve as a Girl Scout volunteer. If an adult is no longer listed on a sex offender registry and is released from probation, they may be eligible to participate in activities as a parent. This is at the sole discretion of River Valleys and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Crimes against children
- Felony offenses against persons
- Felony offenses against a family member
- Crimes defined as public indecency
- Crimes involving the use of weapons
- Any violent crime
- Any felony drug-related offense
- Any felony conviction within the five (5) year period preceding the background check
- Any offense involving driving under the influence, driving while intoxicated or equivalent within the two (2) year period preceding the background check will be automatically disqualified. Any texting/driving charges, River Valleys will require an annual background check review. Any subsequent driving related charges may result in release from volunteer position.
- Residing on the same premises as a registered sex offender (may only participate as a parent/guardian)
For all other criminal offenses, or felony convictions older than the five-year period, River Valleys shall review the applicant’s situation on a case-by-case basis The decision whether to allow service within River Valleys’ discretion, and factors to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- The nature and severity of the criminal conduct
- The position for which the person seeks to volunteer
- The length of time since the criminal conduct occurred
- The circumstances under which the crime was committed
- The degree of rehabilitation
- The likelihood that the person will commit the crime again
- The number of crimes committed by the prospective volunteer