Read the Service Unit Manager's Responsibilities, Timeline, and Qualifications ▾
The Service Unit Manager/Assistant Manager provides leadership, support, and delegation to service unit team members to provide excellent service and support for girls, troops, volunteers, and families within a geographical area. This position is appointed yearly by River Valleys staff.
Responsibilities and Timeline
- Secure and confirm meeting space and time for all upcoming leader meetings.
- Welcome any new volunteers to SU at leader meeting.
- Support recruitment efforts as needed.
- Recruit for open SU positions if needed.
- Highlight/observe Juliette Gordon Low’s Birthday (October 31).
- Promote and ensure that all troops know about cookie rally activities.
- Promote and ensure SU representation at River Valley’s Annual Meeting.
- Highlight/observe Girl Scout’s Thinking Day (February 22).
- Highlight/observe Girl Scout’s Birthday (March 12).
- Highlight/observe National Volunteers Week/Girl Scout leader Day (April 22).
- Identify and recruit for team positions for upcoming year by June 30.
- Promote early bird registration at leader meetings.
- Celebrate Success-hold a SU Court of Awards/Bridging if possible.
- Hold SU Plan of Work meeting with team/volunteers.
- Submit SU Plan of Work by June 30.
- Ensure treasurer submits Troop and Service Unit Finance Report by June 30.
- Ability to organize materials and accurately maintain records.
- Currently registered adult member of GSUSA.
- Complete River Valleys volunteer onboarding process.
- Practice welcoming and inclusive behavior toward people of all ages, races, religions, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, gender, educational, and economic backgrounds.
- Committed to speak and act in a manner consistent with the Girl Scout Mission, Promise, and Law.
- Demonstrate strong group and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to initiate contacts with groups and individuals within the community.
- Knowledge of the Girl Scout program and a positive attitude towards Girl Scouts.
Additional Responsibilities and Qualifications
- Communicate regularly with River Valleys as necessary.
- Schedule, plan, and facilitate regular service unit team and/or leader meetings.
- Share important Girl Scout information from SU Updates to volunteers in your area.
- Support, recruit, supervise, train, place, and recognize service unit team members.
- Monitor service unit finances in partnership with the service unit treasurer.
- Support Juliette (individual) Girl Scouts in the service unit as necessary.
- Promote adult awards to service unit.
- Must have an email address and allow River Valleys to provide it to others as necessary for Girl Scout related business.
- Maintain positive relationships with River Valleys’ staff, service unit team, parents, troop leaders, and community partners.
- Follow all GSUSA and River Valleys’ policies, standards, and procedures.
- Promote and support River Valleys’ Family Fundraising Campaign, Snacks & Magazines Program, and Cookie Program in relationship to your volunteer position.
- Support and promote The Girl Scout Leadership Experience.