Cooking On My Own with Ms. Bethany's School of Cooking - *Virtual*
Grades 9-12: Join Ms. Bethany's School of Cooking to practice cooking on your own. We'll make our own delicious Rice Bowls, practice incorporating on hand ingredients, learn about cooking rice, temperatures for roasting, and water ratios. We'll also discuss tips for meal planning and grocery shopping that will prepare you to cook skillfully, affordably, and deliciously! You will earn some of the steps of the "On My Own" badge in this program and can complete the rest of the steps after the program to earn the badge.
Girl/Adult Ratio: Girl only event, no adults are required to attend.
How to Join: An email with details about how to join the zoom meeting will be sent to you 2-3 days before the event.
- 1 can beans of choice (garbanzo, black, pinto, cannellini, navy, red, etc)
- 2 cups favorite white rice (brown and wild rice will take significantly longer to
- cook than white rice)
- Leafy greens of choice (arugula, spinach, kale, swiss chard, etc)
- 2 root vegetable of choice (pick one such as: sweet potato, potato, beets, carrots,
- parsnips, etc)
- One extra vegetable or fresh herb of your choice! (Can be anything! Bonus if it’s
- a different color than your root vegetable and your greens!)
- ½ cup favorite nut or seed butter (such as peanut butter, almond butter,
- sunflower seed butter, etc)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 3 Tb soy sauce
- 3 Tb brown sugar
- 2 limes
- 1 Tb Sriracha sauce or similar hot sauce
- 1 Tb sesame oil
- Vegetable peeler
- Can opener
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Garlic press- optional but recommended
- Zester or box grater
- Medium bowl
- Extra bowls
Payment details: This event has a minimum deposit. We ask registrants who are paying for this event with a credit card to pay the full balance at check out.
If you are planning to request financial assistance, please pay the minimum deposit with a credit card and select Financial Aid as a payment type. After registering, visit girlscoutsrv.org/financial-assistance to submit your financial assistance application.
If you are planning to pay using program credits, pay as much of the total balance as you would like with a credit card and select Program Credit as a payment type for the remaining balance. Paper credits should be mailed to our St. Paul Service Center office. To submit Electronic Program Credits, visit volunteers.girlscoutsrv.org/program-credit-redemption-form/.