The Girl Scouts River Valleys Press Corps is a team of specially trained Girl Scouts who will go behind the scenes of council and community events, gather all the facts, talk to the VIPs, snap photos, and share their stories with the Girl Scout community—all from a girl’s point of view! Press Corp members serve as official spokespeople for Girl Scouts River Valleys and get to flex their reporter skills throughout the year! How cool is that?
We’re looking for Girl Scouts in grades 6–12 who have lots of different interests, are passionate about Girl Scouts, and looking to explore and develop communications skills of all kinds.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. If you have questions, please contact Sierra Napoli at Sierra.Napoli@girlscoutsrv.org.
What You’ll Learn
As a member of the Girl Scouts River Valleys Press Corps, you’ll have the chance to enhance your writing and photography skills, find out what it takes to prepare for an in-person interview, explore personal areas of interest (e.g., communications, public relations (PR), television broadcasting, and more), develop public speaking skills, and interact with professional experts, guest speakers, and reporters.
Stories: Members of the Press Corps will be asked to submit three stories per Girl Scout program year. Each event will have a submission deadline (usually one or two weeks after the event). Just like reporters in the field, we expect that the Press Corps will honor these deadlines to ensure timely reporting. Stories may cover:
- High profile Girl Scout events (e.g., Women of Distinction, Annual Meeting, Gold Award Ceremonies)
- Girl Scout programs (events, Cookie Program, camp, or initiatives like Every Girl in A Tent)
- Report on non-Girl Scout topics relevant to Girl Scouts.
- Stories of personal interest
Monthly Meetings: Participants must be available to attend 6 of the 8 monthly meetings in person (or online) held on the second Monday of every month. Meetings will be held from 6 pm–8 pm at the Saint Paul or Brooklyn Center Service Centers.
We can’t wait for you to put on your reporter hat and speak to the experience of a G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™.
Reporting from the Field
- Keena's Power Girls Camp Journal by Keena D.
- Press Corps Visit to Minnesota Public Radio by Ella T., Keena D., Maddy D., Megan W., and Nora L.
- An Interview with Blessing Roberts by Keena D.
- 2019 Women of Distinction Recap by Maddy D.
- Girl Scouts Takeover Day at REI by Maddy D., Keena D., Megan T., Ella T., and Megan P.
- 2019 Annual Meeting Recap by Maddy D.
- An Interview with Niambi Jaha-Echols by Maddy D.
- Girl Scouts Takeover Day at REI by Keena D.