*Combo* Small Craft Safety Training & Renewal for Canoeing ~ REGISTRATION CLOSED
Registration Closes: 05/27/2021 at 11 p.m. CST
Location: Online and Camp Lakamaga, Marine on St. Croix, MN
Small Craft Safety Training for lake canoeing is the current Safety Activity checkpoint requirement for volunteers to lead girls safely in a canoe activity on a lake. Learn the skills necessary to prevent, recognize, and respond to canoe emergencies, and gain the knowledge to assist a troop in planning and implementing a canoe outing. This training covers flat water canoeing and is valid for a three-year period.
Open to those both new to the training and those renewing.
Online portion: This training includes 4 hours of online training that needs to be completed prior to the in-person class. Information on how to access the on-line portion will be sent out June 1.
Prerequisites: This is a safety and rescue training course, not a canoeing skills class. Participants must be experienced canoeists who are prepared to pass a prerequisite canoe skills test that will take place several weeks before the class.
Pre-test is the morning of June 13 (other dates and times may be available upon request) and includes:
• Safely launch and control a canoe using the proper strokes while paddling forward and backward, turning, stopping and holding position.
• Solo Paddling, either alone in the canoe or with a non-paddling partner to help balance the canoe.
• When paddling forward and backward steering strokes, such as J-strokes or sweep strokes, must be used to maintain a straight-line course without switching sides or ruddering.
Also, on the day of the course you will need to demonstrate the following:
• Float or tread water for 1 minute without a life jacket
• Swim any stroke for 25 yards without a life jacket
• Swim any stroke for 25 yards while wearing a life jacket
COVID-19 Safety Measures:
• masks required
• social distancing enforced
• held outdoors
• family/single-occupancy restrooms
• increased cleaning
• crowding prevention
Policies: Please review our event and cancellation policies.