Written by Girl Scouts River Valleys Press Corps Member Ella T.
During a pandemic, we all need to do our part to keep everyone safe. Video chatting with friends and family is a great way to connect while keeping your distance. Here are ten fun activities to do over a video chat:
1. Play an online game: You can play games like Skribbl.io. It is a game where players try to guess what someone is drawing. Another fun game is Playingcards.io, where you can play lots of classic card games like 500, Go Fish, and Hearts. You can even create your own game.
2. Cook or bake: Many people have learned to cook or bake during quarantine, and video chatting is the perfect opportunity to practice that skill while having a good time with friends or family.
3. Play a board game: Sometimes you just need to have some good old-fashioned fun, and board games are the perfect way to do just that. There are multiple ways you can play board games via video chat. One option is for one person to be the “hands” of the players and move the pieces for everybody. Another option is for everyone on the chat to get out their version of the game at home and everyone moves the pieces. Choose the option that works best for the game you are playing.
4. Read books: Books are a great way to learn new things while having a good time. You can even make a book club to discuss books together.
5. Learn something new like knitting, instruments, or crafts: It is always fun to learn a new skill, but learning with someone that you know can make it even more fun. Even if you don't think you will be good at it, it will still be a fun experience.
6. Start a club: A club would be the perfect thing to do over video chat.
7. Watch a movie or TV show together: Even if you can't be in the same room, you can still just chill and watch something together. This is perfect if you don't want to talk a lot but just want some time together.
8. Work on an art or craft project: This is another relaxed thing that you can do during a video chat. Having something to work on makes the conversation a lot less awkward since you can talk as much or as little as you want.
9. Have a trivia night: You can use Kahoot or play a quiz board game like Trivial Pursuit.
10. STEM challenge: You can either do a classic like an egg drop or make up your own STEM challenge to do together.