Calling all 8th through 10th grade future astronomers. How would you like to be part of the Girl Scout River Valleys Astronomy Club? Led by a volunteer and amateur astronomer Girl Scout River Valleys is organizing a group of Girl Scout astronomy enthusiasts to meet at least three times each year and share their knowledge with the community and other Girl Scouts through training and program events. If interested, complete the Astronomy Club Application before February 24. All Girl Scouts 13 years or older on June 13, 2020 and entering grades 9, 10 or 11 in the fall of 2020 are eligible to apply.
Exclusive Astronomy Club Training Opportunity
Girl Scout astronomy clubs can also enter for a chance to be selected to attend the week-long Girl Scout astronomy club training at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland June 14-20, 2020. There they will be equipped with the resources and tools to develop a sustainable Girl Scout astronomy club. Travel, lodging, and meal expenses will be covered.
Only two Girl Scouts can travel together with the club’s volunteer and amateur astronomer to Maryland for training. Girl Scouts who submit an application for the club will automatically be added to the pool of candidates for the training trip.
Please note: If you are unable or unwilling to attend the week-long training in Maryland, but still want to be part of the Astronomy Club you can opt out of the trip on the application. If you are one of the two Girl Scouts River Valleys Astronomy Club members selected for the trip you will be contacted to sign additional paperwork before March 3, 2020. If you're not selected for the trip, you can expect to receive an email with additional astronomy club details.
Astronomy Club Requirements
In order to be considered for the Girl Scout astronomy club training in Maryland June 14-19 a Girl Scout Astronomy Club must:
- Meet in person with assigned council staff to discuss council expectations prior to training.
- Meet a minimum of three times each year (by June 30, 2021 for year one and June 30, 2022 for year two). Astronomy clubs should be organized for sustainability over multiple years.
- Develop an astronomy club plan and budget and submit them to Girl Scouts of the USA by September 30, 2020 (team members must meet in person with assigned council staff after the training and present to council staff prior to submission to Girl Scouts of the USA).
- Offer at least two trainings to share best practices for organizing and sustaining a Girl Scout astronomy club to adults and older Girl Scouts in another geographic region of the council by June 30, 2022.
- Offer two or more astronomy events for council by June 30, 2022.
- Attend monthly virtual astronomy club meetings facilitated by Lou Mayo (please note that if you’ve opted into being considered for the trip, emails submitted in application will be shared with Lou Mayo for communication purposes).
- Apply to attend the Girl Scout astronomy club training from June 14-19, 2020 Travel, lodging, and meal expenses will be covered. Any costs incurred directly should be submitted to the Girl Scouts River Valleys for reimbursement; Girl Scouts of the USA will reimburse the council.