UPDATE (as of 13 July 2018):
Exciting news! Camp Northwoods will be open back up beginning July 22, 2018. Since bad weather caused flash flooding to to the camp several weeks ago, major repairs have been made to the camp and the surrounding area. The roads leading to camp have been mended and are now in better condition than ever before! All camp roads, buildings, trees, waterfront, lake water, and wells have been evaluated and tested and are confirmed safe.
A huge thank you to all of our members for your patience and understanding through this process. We know that for many Girl Scouts, camp is the highlight of their summer and something they look forward to all year. We are so happy that Camp Northwoods will be able to welcome girls this summer!
20 June 2018: Camp Northwoods Weather Damage
Due to heavy rain from significant storms last weekend, an earthen dam near one of Girl Scouts River Valleys’ camps, Camp Northwoods in Mason, Wis., failed, resulting in flooding, road washouts, and loss of electricity, water, and other services at camp. Therefore, all Camp Northwoods sessions between June 15 and July 21 have been cancelled.
The extent of the damage and the time it will take to repair is still to be determined, so there remains a possibility that Camp Northwoods sessions may be cancelled for the rest of the 2018 summer camp season.
Camp Northwoods has experienced lakeshore damage, power loss, and at least six known road washouts (including the county road that leads into camp). Because these road washouts affect our ability to access camp easily, Girl Scouts River Valleys’ knowledge is limited at this time, but we will continue to communicate important updates to all members, families, and girls affected.
Unfortunately, Girl Scouts River Valleys does not expect Camp Northwoods to be safe for use until at least July 22. Sessions before that date are cancelled. We are all so sad about these cancellations—we know how hard girls work to earn their camp experiences, and how excited they are for camp each year.
Girl Scouts River Valleys is currently working through options to help affected girls and families find another Girl Scout Camp experience—hopefully for this summer. Options include potentially adding additional sessions at some of our other camp locations and/or offering sessions at neighboring Girl Scout councils. Once a final decision has been made, this information will be sent directly to affected girls and families. Refunds will be provided for all that have been affected.
“Our utmost priority at this time is the safety and well-being of our girls, staff members, horses, and anyone else currently at Camp Northwoods.” said Girl Scouts River Valleys CEO, Tish Bolger, “We’re so grateful that no girls were on-site during the storm and flooding last Saturday.”
All Girl Scouts River Valleys staff members have been reported unharmed and were able to evacuate safely. The horses are also safe, with access to fresh water, hay, and pasture.
In order for River Valleys to get Camp Northwoods back to working condition, all roads in and around camp must be able to support use by school buses, food delivery trucks, and emergency vehicles to the main part of camp. All buildings must be declared sound, and trees assessed for risk of falling.
As we learn more about the damage, estimated time to repair it, and safety and risk concerns, we’ll work through that decision and update members as quickly as possible.
The impact of last weekend’s storm is becoming more known to us each day. We will continue to communicate with affected families with as much support as we can provide. Thank you for your understanding.
For common questions and concerns regarding Camp Northwoods this summer, please see our Camp Northwoods Q&A document. Feel free to reach out via email at email@example.com or via phone at 800-845-0787 if you have any additional questions.
For news coverage concerning the weather damage done in NW Wis./NE Minn., please see article below:
Girl Scouts River Valleys has reached out to all families affected by the Camp Northwoods Camp closures on June 17-July 22. Families are encouraged to review available sessions on the Camp page. Please know that spots are limited and are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Transfers to the new sessions, must be done over the phone—we’re happy to help, please call us at 800-845-0787. Customer Care is available Monday-Friday 8:30 AM-5:00 PM. Please note that Girl Scouts River Valleys will be closed July 2-6 for the July 4th Holiday.
Additional Information for All Campers Affected by Camp Northwooods
Here are few details about transfers from one Girl Scouts River Valleys camp to another:
- If the cost of the new camp session is less than your original session, we will refund the difference.
- If the cost of the new camp session is more than your original session, we will waive the difference in camp fees.
- Promo codes will transfer.
- If you received Girl Scouts River Valleys financial assistance for your cancelled session, we will transfer your granted amount to your new River Valleys camp session. You do not need to reapply for assistance.
- Transfers can only done over the phone, during business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Call us at 800-845-0787 to be assisted with a transfer.
Camping with Other Girl Scout Councils
We have spoken with the camp directors at the Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin Lakes and Pines, Girl Scouts of Northwestern Great Lakes, Girl Scouts Manitou, and Girl Scouts Badgerland. All four councils have availability and would welcome Girl Scouts River Valleys girls.
(320) 252-2952 or (800) 955-6032
Camp Roundelay (Minong, WI)
- Types of camps: Classic Camp, waterfront
Camp Sanderson (Spicer, MN)
- Types of camps: Classic Camp, waterfront, high ropes
Shingobee Timbers (Hackensack, MN)
- Types of camps: High and low challenge, zip line, waterfront, rustic wilderness canoe trip camp on the Boundary Waters
Northern Lake Canoe Base (Ely, MN)
- Types of camps: Rustic wilderness canoe trip camp on the Boundary Waters. Mostly grades 7 and up.
Girls who sign up for a session that is 3 nights or longer will be required to provide documentation to show that they have received a physical within the last year. Girl Scouts Lakes and Pines does not offer transportation to or from camp.
Camp Evelyn (Plymouth, WI)
- Types of camps: Grades 2-12, lots of water activities. See the catalog.
Camp Manitou (Shoto, WI)
- Types of camps: Classic camp, water activities. See the catalog.
Camp Nawakwa (Cornell, WI)
- Types of camps: Short stay, up to 7th grade. See the catalog
Camp Birch Trails (Irma, WI)
- Types of camps: Classic camp, horse program, advanced trips, and water activities. See the catalog
Camp Ehawee (Mindoro, WI)
- Types of camps: Classic camp, pool. See the catalog.
If you are interested in exploring another council’s camp this summer, here’s how to register and pay for it:
- Call the council’s Customer Care team and let them know you are a Girl Scouts River Valleys Girl Scouts that was registered for a cancelled Camp Northwoods session.
- Let them know which camp session you would like to register for and complete the registration process (and camp paperwork, such as health forms) required by that council.
- The receiving council will bill Girl Scouts River Valleys for your girl’s session, so we can apply your existing payment toward the new camp.
- If the new camp costs less than your Northwoods camp session, we will refund the difference. If it costs more, Girl Scouts River Valleys will cover the difference in cost.
- Families should contact Girl Scouts River Valleys with questions related to payment or financial assistance.
- If you have or are planning to transfer to another council’s camp, please contact Girl Scouts River Valleys and provide us with the name of the camper, session name, and date of the camp.
You can always request a refund
We know that these new options might not work for your family’s schedule or girl’s desires. You can request a full refund at any time. Here’s more about how that will work. Refunds will be issued based on the form of original payment. That means:
- If you paid with a credit card, the payment will go back on your card. Please allow up to two weeks for this credit to appear on your bank statement.
- If you paid with cash or check, we will mail you a check. Please allow up to 30 days for processing.
- If you paid with Cookie Credits, we will refund you in 2018 Cookie Credits (even if you paid with 2017 Cookie Credits). These will be good for summer camp next year. Cookie Credits will be mailed to you, please allow up to 30 days for processing.
- If you choose to cancel and used a half-off coupon earned as a cookie reward, we will reissue a coupon that will be good for next summer’s camp season. This will be mailed to you. Please allow up to 30 days for processing.