The Women of Distinction and Young Women of Distinction honorees exemplify the Girl Scout mission through ethical leadership and a commitment to making a difference in the lives of their fellow citizens through community service. In highlighting these women and girls, we hope to inspire all girls to achieve their own goals and dreams.
We are not yet accepting Women of Distinction or Young Women of Distinction nominations for 2018. Until next season, keep the following criteria in mind—someone you know might make a great candidate!
Women of Distinction
We seek candidates from a broad range of professional and personal backgrounds. Previous experience in Girl Scouting or with youth programs is encouraged but not necessary.
Nominees for this honor are women who:
- Support the ideals of the Girl Scout mission of building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
- Demonstrate a strong and growing commitment to the community.
- Demonstrate exceptional skills as a role model or mentor of women and girls through advocacy, community service, and leadership.
- Have achieved professional excellence in their field.
Young Women of Distinction
New in 2017, River Valleys honored two exceptionally inspiring local Girl Scouts as inaugural Young Women of Distinction. This honor is given to Girl Scout Seniors or Ambassadors whose extraordinary leadership and service inspire others to find the G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ within.
Nominees for this honor are young women who:
- Are registered members of Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin River Valleys
- Are Girl Scout Seniors or Ambassadors (girls in grades 9-12) who represent River Valleys’ diverse sisterhood
- Demonstrate outstanding courage, confidence, and character, and work to make the world a better place
- Demonstrate exceptional skills as a role model to other girls through community service and leadership
These young women are recognized along with adult honorees at our annual Invest in Girls, Change the World: Women of Distinction event – a celebration of the amazing impact that local women leaders, Girl Scouts River Valleys, and girls are making on their communities and the world!