Day Camp Director
The Day Camp Director plans and directs all phases of a volunteer-led day camp.
Read the Day Camp Director's Responsibilities and Qualifications
- Complete all required training as sponsored by River Valleys Staff.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the Camp Director and other River Valleys’ staff.
- Supervise the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the day camp program in designated service unit or area.
- Ensure the Girl Scout Mission, Promise, and Law are the basis for decision-making and delivery of the day camp program.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and provide ongoing support to the Day Camp Leadership team.
- Ensure the Girl Scout Leadership Experience is the starting point for all day camp programming activities.
- Utilize sound management skills to supervise, evaluate, and reassign and/or release volunteers as required.
- Work within the risk management expectations as outlined in the Girl Scout Safety Guidelines, the Council Reference Guide, and the Department of Health for the protection and safety of all Day Camp participants and volunteers.
- Ensure accurate reporting of day camp finances including records of income and expense and budgeting.
- Maintain strong relationships with campers, parents/guardians, and volunteers.
- Provide the opportunity for written evaluation of day camp to campers, parent/guardians, and volunteers.
- Make reports, evaluations, and recommendations of day camp operations for the following season.
- Review and submit all end-of-season and program notes on time.
- Follow all GSUSA and River Valleys’ policies, standards, and procedures.
- Currently registered adult member of GSUSA.
- Willing to fully participate in volunteer application and screening process.
- Practice welcoming and inclusive behavior toward people of all ages, races, religions, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, gender, educational, and economic backgrounds.
- Committed to speak and act in a manner consistent with the Girl Scout Mission, Promise, and Law.
- Demonstrate excellent group and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrate administrative ability and financial management skill.
- Ability to make good judgments regarding personnel, health and safety procedures, and crises.
Forms + Resources
- Day Camp Director Resource Guide
- American Camp Association (ACA)
- Bus Policies and Procedures
- Copying/Mail Labels/Bulk Mail Form
- Day Camp Application Form
- Day Camp Proposal
- Day Camp Promotion Request (formerly website information sheet)
- End of Camp Report of Numbers
- End of Season Paperwork Checklist
- Leadership Progression Guide
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Information
- Program Aide Training Resource
- River Valleys Guidelines for Creating a Troop/Service Unit Website
- Promotional Flier Sample
- Registration Form Template
- Camper Information Form Template
- Confirmation Letter Template
- E-blast Sample
- Health History Form
- Postcard Sample (front)
- Postcard Sample (back)
For Use During Day Camp
- Camper Check-in/-out Attendance Log and Bus Log
- Camper-Volunteer Accident/Incident Report
- Communication Log
- Day Camp Crisis Communication Plan
- Emergency Driver Agreement