This key volunteer position works to educate and solicit Girl Scout families for Family Giving contributions from the local Service Unit area families. By raising funds at the local level, Family Giving Coordinators increase River Valleys’ ability to deliver services and program to girls.
Read the Family Giving Coordinator's Responsibilities, Timeline, and Qualifications ▾
Primary Responsibilities and Timeline
September – October (Planning for Campaign)
- Make an effective plan—set objectives and coordinate tasks—to reach your service unit’s Family Giving goal.
- Plan the timing of your event/emails to families/troop fundraising to fit in with your service unit calendar.
October – September (Launch your Campaign)
- Host an event, create an email campaign to parents, distribute and collect envelopes from troops, etc.
- Family Giving events and campaigns can happen anytime during your Girl Scout year.
- Being mindful of your cookie season, many Family Giving events and campaigns are supported and welcomed during the spring months (March – May).
- Coordinating Family Giving into your already existing Service Unit yearly events is a great way to add opportunities to make your goal.
During Your Family Giving Campaign/Event
- Promote campaign to Girl Scout families and educate on the importance of Family Giving and investing in girls.
- Give every Girl Scout family the opportunity to make a gift.
- Contact all troops within the service unit to encourage their participation in the Family Partnership Campaign. Support their troop-level campaign efforts or leads the efforts at the troop-level so that all parents/guardians are asked to participate.
- Keep records of Family Giving campaigns, donations collected, and ensure all donations are kept confidential.
After Your Family Giving Campaign/Event
- Submit donations within one week of receiving donations to your local service center, or by mailing them to the St. Paul Service Center.
- Share stories and best practices with the Fund Development & Volunteer Support Team and other Family Giving Coordinators.
September 30th is the end of our fiscal year, all Family Giving contributions need to be submitted by this date to apply towards your Family Giving goal for the year.
- Lead by example and make a personal contribution to Family Giving that is meaningful to you and your family.
- Handle donors and donations with responsibility, confidentiality, and ethical behavior. Always Ask while respecting that giving is a personal decision.
- Currently registered adult member of GSUSA.
- Complete River Valleys volunteer application process.
- Comfortable speaking about Family Giving and the benefits Girl Scouts gives to girls.
- Practice welcoming and inclusive behavior toward people of all ages, races, religions, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, gender, and educational or economic backgrounds.
- Committed to speak and act in a manner consistent with the Girl Scout Mission, Promise and Law.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal communication skills, financial responsibility and careful recordkeeping.
- Knowledge of the Girl Scout program and a positive attitude towards Girl Scouts.
View the Family Giving Goal for your Service Unit ▾
|SU #||Service Units||FY17 FG Goal Actual|
|163||Autumn Ridge/Southern Stars||568|
|152||Bloomington Nine Mile||966|
|304||Blue Earth Area||60|
|506||Clear Lake/ Clayton||50|
|342||Greater Brown County||401|
|549||Greater East Side||450|
|519||Indian Heights/West Seventh||446|
|520||Inver Grove Heights||280|
|538||Kinni Croix Valley||722|
|311||Lac Qui Parle||48|
|142||Lake Nokomis/Stone Arch||1028|
|522||Lake O' the Dalles||110|
|330||Lakes and Prairies||142|
|525||Mid du Lac||212|
|483||New Richland/Hartland/Ellendale/ Geneva||48|
|147||Northern Lights W||496|
|531||Oak Shore Hills/Mounds View||1436|
|533||Pine City/Rush City||216|
|534||Pine Tree Ridge||360|
|349||Redwood Falls Area|
|544||Saint Croix Central||499|
|547||South Saint Paul||318|
|164||Spring Lake Park||536|
|165||St. Louis Park||474|
|167||Tonka Waters East||658|
|168||Tonka Waters West||766|
|557||White Bear North and South||862|
- Download our Family Giving Toolkit to find a collection of helpful instructions, handouts, and how to’s for leading a Family Giving Campaign and sharing the value of investing in Girl Scouts! The toolkit includes:
- Instructions on your role, Family Giving FAQ’s, and tools to help you track donations
- Tips on storytelling and ways to encourage your Service Unit to give
- Sample letters, email templates, and scripts
- Fun resources, event ideas, tips, and suggestions
- Download our Donation Reporting and Submission Instructions which includes:
- Family Giving Activity Report form
- Family Giving Donation Submission form
- Download our printable handout to take along to your events.
- Additionally, Family Giving envelopes and thank you cards can be ordered through Fund Development at 800-845-0787 or FDgifts@girlscoutsrv.org to supplement your campaign. Requests for these items must be received 10-days before your event to ensure it arrives on time.
- Watch the Service Unit Family Giving Coordinator Orientation.
Family Giving Fundraising Sites
One option for your Family Giving Campaign is to use the fundraising sites that have been created for each service unit, using the GIVEMN.org platform. You can visit the GIVEMN page all year long and collect online donations at anytime for your Family Giving Campaign. To find your service unit page, go to our main Girl Scouts River Valleys for GIVEMN.org page. Click the “See All Projects” button at the bottom of the page.
Family Giving Fundraising Ideas
Need help brainstorming ways to raise money for your Family Giving Campaign? Here’s a list of ideas that other service units have utilized in their campaign.
Host a New Event
- “He & Me” Event
- “She & Me” Event
- Girls Night Out
- Tea Party
- Powderpuff Derby
- Family Game Night
At Existing Service Unit Events
- Add $1 or $2 to the price of an existing service unit event to be donation to Family Giving
- Have a Family Giving information table or give everyone donation envelopes at the event
- Have a dessert “auction” where girls and families bring baked goods to sell to raise money
- Traveling wishing well to put change in
- Give envelopes to each troop leader and have troops that return all envelopes entered into a drawing for an ice cream or pizza party.
Have other successful ideas from your service unit? Contact FDGifts@girlscoutsrv.org to share them!