In Girl Scouting, the well-being of girls and their emotional and physical safety are always top priorities.
In this section, learn your responsibilities for keeping girls safe. Safety-Wise includes checklists and resources required for Girl
This section includes a lot of vital information, so be sure to download the full version to keep as a reference.
Knowing Your Responsibilities
Learn the key responsibilities of all adult Girl Scouts, parents/guardians and girls.
- Get the Safety Activity Checkpoints.
- Find parent/guardian permission forms and other health and safety documents.
- Use Safety Activity Checkpoints to plan safe activities.
- Use the inclusion resources for assistance in including all members.
- Take the Girl Scouts Online Safety Pledge.
Knowing How Many Volunteers You Need
Girl Scouts regulates specific minimum adult-to-girl ratios for all activities. Learn the rules and which adults can help you meet the minimum requirements.
Learn which adults can drive girls to trips and activities, and the use of private (owned or rented) and River Valleys’ vehicles. Also included is a checklist for all drivers to ensure passenger safety.
- Contact the registration department at 800-845-0787 for ALL agreements or contracts, even when there is no cost.
- Review the River Valleys’ Approved Bus Company list
- Use the Bus Usage Form for council approval.
- Review Minnesota and Wisconsin child safety seat laws
Learn the insurance and health information that you may need for your events and how to treat health information with privacy and sensitivity.
- Contact River Valleys’ staff with any safety or activity questions.
- Review the Safety Activity Checkpoints to plan safe events.
- Get health and safety forms, including health history, medication and insurance forms.
Providing Emergency Care
Know the requirements for adults’ first aid training, and get information on assembling first aid kits and how to report emergencies
- Contact River Valleys staff for emergency guidelines and reporting information.
- Find health and Safety forms, including Accident Incident Report form.
- Find First Aid and CPR classes from the Red Cross of Minnesota and Red Cross of Southeast Wisconsin
- View the Anatomy of a First-Aid Kit.
Sleeping Arrangements for Troop + Service Unit Events
Find guidelines for how to arrange for chaperons and supervision of sleeping areas during overnight trips or sleepovers.
- Use the parent/guardian permission form for overnights and all events/meetings that happen outside of the normal time and place.
Using + Accessing the Safety Activity Checkpoints
Get guidance on how to use the Safety Activity Checkpoints for Girl Scout activities and learn which activities are only allowed with council approval and which are always off-limits.
- View the Safety Activity Checkpoints.
- Contact River Valleys staff if you are interested in an activity that doesn’t have a Safety Activity Checkpoint.
Certificates of Insurance
River Valleys has Certificates of Insurance (COI) in place with program vendors, like horse stables and water parks.
- Complete this online form to request a certificate of insurance. Contact us at 800-845-0787 if you are unclear if you need a COI.