College Readiness Planner
This volunteer works with staff and volunteers to plan and implement three college readiness workshops in the Beta Gamma Girl Scout (BGGS) program, a special initiative for African and African-American girls to continue the traditions of girl scouting while incorporating their culture. BGGS focuses on developing leadership, self esteem, financial literacy, career opportunities and college preparedness for middle school and high school girls.
- Meet with planning team to plan and prepare three, 2-hour workshops.
- December topic: college preparation
- January topic: financial aid
- February topic: essay writing
- Prepare for workshops by arranging for content experts to speak at the event. A list of potential speakers will be provided.
- Plan and prepare for an ice breaker activity for workshops.
- General workshop preparation such as resource gathering, making copies of handouts, and housekeeping items such as registration, name tags etc.
- Host/facilitate workshop with one or two other volunteers.
- Share your experiences as related to the topic to provide give girls with varied perspectives on the college readiness process.
- Work with planning team to divide up tasks. Work independently to ensure that your agreed upon tasks are completed.
- Communicate concerns, feedback and questions to your staff contact and or planning team as appropriate.
- Follow all GSUSA and River Valleys’ policies, standards, and procedures.
- Practice welcoming and inclusive behavior toward people of all ages, races, religions, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, gender, educational, and economic backgrounds.
- Committed to speak and act in a manner consistent with the Girl Scout Mission, Promise, and Law.
- Demonstrate effective group and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
Workshops will be once a month during the months of December, January and February. You may choose to volunteer for one, two or all three workshops.