The Women of Distinction and Young Women of Distinction honorees exemplify the Girl Scout Promise and Law through ethical leadership and a commitment to making a difference in the lives of their fellow citizens through community service. In highlighting these women and girls, we hope to inspire all girls to achieve their own goals and dreams.
Women of Distinction
We seek candidates from a broad range of professional and personal backgrounds. Previous experience in Girl Scouting or with youth empowerment programs is encouraged but not necessary.
Nominees for this award are women who:
- Support the ideals of the Girl Scout mission of building girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place.
- Demonstrate strong and growing commitment to the community.
- Demonstrate exceptional skills as a role model or mentor of women and girls through advocacy, community service, and leadership.
- Have achieved professional excellence in their field.
We are no longer accepting nominations for the 2017 Women of Distinction.
Young Women of Distinction
New this year, River Valleys will choose two exceptionally inspiring local Girl Scouts as our 2017 Young Women of Distinction. This honor is given to Girl Scout Seniors or Ambassadors whose extraordinary leadership and service inspire others to find the G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ within.
Nominees for this award are young women who:
- Are registered members of Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin River Valleys
- Are Senior or Ambassador Girl Scouts (girls in grades 9-12) who represent River Valleys’ diverse sisterhood
- Demonstrate outstanding courage, confidence, and character, and work to make the world a better place
- Demonstrate exceptional skills as a role model to other girls through community service and leadership
These young women will be recognized along with three adult honorees at our 2017 Invest in Girls, Change the World: Women of Distinction event – a celebration of the amazing impact that local women leaders, Girl Scouts River Valleys, and girls are making on their communities and the world!
How to Apply
- Complete the Girl Scouts River Valleys 2017 Young Women of Distinction Nomination Form. Girls can nominate themselves, or be nominated by someone else.
- Submit the form (including the narrative and a headshot) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 pm on Wednesday, February 15, 2017.
- A selection committee of staff and volunteers will review all nominations and select the two final honorees.
- Recipients will be notified by the committee after final decisions are made, no later than Wednesday, February 22nd.
Accepted girl honorees must be willing to be interviewed by Girl Scouts River Valleys and have their information and picture included in various publications, online, and in external media. Girl honorees must also attend and speak at the Invest in Girls, Change the World: Women of Distinction evening event May 11, 2017. Girl honorees will receive public speaking coaching and support from River Valleys’ staff and event emcee Roxanne Battle.