Home : News : Girls Rock Out to Fifth Harmony

Girls Rock Out to Fifth Harmony

On Saturday, June 14, Fifth Harmony performed at the Minnesota State Fair Grandstand for the Feeding the Need Concert. Not even the rain could dampen the Girl Scout spirit as girls arrived in full force.

blog-girls-fifth-harmonyblog-fifth-harmony-connectz

Girls and families traveled from all across the Girl Scouts River Valleys council.

blog-crowd-fifth-harmony blog-girls-cheering-fifth-harmony

Many Girl Scouts made their own signs to show their love for the band.

blog-fifth-harmony-signs

Fifth Harmony played a full set of their top hits, spurring an hour-long sing-a-long and dance party.

blog-fifth-harmony-performingblog-fifth-harmony-singing

Girls also got moving before the Fifth Harmony show with Radio Disney, Zumba (featuring Mary Pirela Diaz, pictured below), and martial arts (featuring Tim Blaylark).

blog-zumba

Thanks to everyone who came to the event and made it such a success!

Filed under: GSRV Council . Tagged:

You can: or see all posts.

1. Anne Marie DeBoard says:

We had such a good time at the concert despite the rain. Thank you so much for putting this on for the girls!

2. Laurie Anderson says:

For future concerts, please consider hiring more appropriate role models as performers. Skin tight pants, bare midriffs, short shorts and ridiculously high heels don’t convey the empowerment that comes from accomplishment or Girl Scout values, only that of commercialized hypersexuality. They were cute and talented young women but, as a youth leadership organization, we have to give more thought to the examples that we give to girls to imitate.

3. Amy Schneider says:

Laurie Anderson, I couldn’t agree with you more! I had the exact same thoughts and made the same comments to my husband when we got home.

4. Thank you for putting this event on again. The activities for the girls to do before the show, compared to the 1st year, were a major let down. The girls were looking forward to the climbing wall, radio disney photo opportunities and all the extra booths. And we completely agree with the request for appropriate female role models for next year’s performers.

5. Girl Scouts River Valleys says:

Laurie, Amy, and Christie, thank you for your note of concern. We take all input and put it towards our future planning efforts, and appreciate your feedback.

6. Wendy Shi says:

I have to disagree with any negative thoughts. Their clothing choices should simply be put as their clothing choices. Some parents are telling young girls and teens to be ashamed of their bodies and hide them behind clothes. Short shorts and tight pants especially shouldn’t be concerning. If you are worried that men will be aroused at the sight of skin tight pants or crop tops, then I feel as if you have a better chance at speaking to the men of this generation. Girls should not, and I can’t emphasize this enough, girls should NOT have to stick to a strict dress code of covering every single part of their bodies up because of men. One day your daughters WILL grow up, and they WILL dress somewhat like this. Fifth Harmony shows that young women should be confident of their bodies. In no way have they said that girls HAVE to dress in the clothes that they were wearing, but keep in mind that the performers are teenagers and they have their own clothing choices. I apologize if I am sounding very nasty, but some clearly have no idea what things they stand for and how many people, and lives, they have saved.

7. Laurie Anderson says:

Wendy Shi raises some good points, probably the same points that I would have raised when I was also a teenager and very interested in differentiating myself from adults and correcting the weaknesses of society. Body parts weren’t just invented and they haven’t changed, and neither has the discussion about the complicated interconnection of gender, dress, behavior and society. I don’t think anyone was denigrating the character or charitable works of the performers, whether or not they are familiar with Fifth Harmony’s admirable support of a variety of charitable organizations. Does society need to raise boys better? You bet! That’s why I’m also a Boy Scout volunteer. I don’t urge my daughters to dress in any way because of or despite men or boys, but based on how they want to feel about themselves. I have a daughter who IS an adult and who does not dress ‘somewhat like’ that and never has. I ascribe that to personal preference, respect for comfort, luck, and maybe a tiny bit of reasonable parenting. I also attribute that to Girl Scouts and some wonderful teachers and other role models. The comments here were directed to the River Valleys staff regarding concerns that some of us had as parents/adult volunteers. I agree that women should be free to dress as we would like and that the members of Fifth Harmony are caring, charitable people who can represent themselves as they see fit, at least the three who are legal adults. I don’t agree that children aren’t influenced by their environment – otherwise why would we spend so much time and money volunteering to attempt to build girls of courage, confidence and character? What I hear in the comments is feedback to the River Valleys staff that when/if planning the next similar event that the adults who are consumers would like to be sure that performers are chosen who appeal to the sensibilities of both parents and girl members. Performers can dress as they please; I have the same freedom to decide whether to spend money on this event. That doesn’t make me a fuddy-duddy, just a parent and a troop leader who puts a lot of effort into handling my role responsibly in giving kids in my care the best experiences for their development. It’s not a job for the faint of heart and I applaud the parents, troop leaders and RV staff who take it on every day. And I applaud you, Wendy, for expressing your convictions. Make the world a better, and less superficial, reality. And I can’t emphasize THAT enough.