Home : News : Setting the Record Straight

Setting the Record Straight

In recent weeks, the Girl Scout Movement has been the target of a coordinated national boycott and misinformation campaign. Several organizations have been publishing incorrect information and making allegations about the nature and purpose of the Movement.

The mission of Girl Scouts is to build girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place. This is not a political mission. These are the facts:

• Girl Scouts is an inclusive organization of 3.2 million members representing different faith traditions, ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, levels of economic resources, and points of view. The platform that unites us is the Girl Scout Promise and Law.
  • Girl Scouts does not endorse any political party or politicians, nor do we endorse or promote any specific social agenda.
  • Girl Scouts of the USA and Girl Scouts River Valleys do not have relationships with Planned Parenthood.
  • Girl Scouts does not take a position on reproductive issues. We believe that these are matters that are best discussed within the family.

The cookie program helps keep Girl Scouts affordable for families. The funds troops earn pay for activities, uniforms, service projects, and even travel. The proceeds that come to the council are used to maintain camps, provide girl programming and volunteer services, and support financial assistance and outreach to ensure that Girl Scouting remains accessible for all girls.

The Girl Scout cookie booth is not the place for a political agenda. We ask that you help us counter the misinformation by sharing the facts about Girl Scouts. Here are several resources available to help set the record straight.

The video above was released nationally and features the CEO of Girl Scouts of the USA Anna Maria Chavez. It can be shared as needed.

A fact sheet, provided by Girl Scouts of the USA, provides more information about the Girl Scout cookie program works and where the proceeds go. It can be distributed as needed.

Linda Keene, CEO of the Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin River Valleys, has also provided a letter about the River Valleys council and cookie program that can be emailed, downloaded, printed, and distributed as needed.

To share this post, simply choose the gray “Share” box below.

Filed under: GSRV Council

1. Kelly says:

Thanks for posting this. My daughters have lost sales this and last year due to this boycott. I’ve also been harassed on Facebook about the relationship between Girl Scouts, WAGGS, and abortion world-wide. This message would be stronger, if the relationship to WAGGS was addressed here, as well. Thanks.

2. Mary K says:

Thank you. My troop was approached twice in a short period last weekend. The girls, teens, were surprised by this and asked me if it was true. Of course I told them no, that we are inclusive but do not support groups one way or another. Thank you for making a public statememt.

3. Diane Barton says:

A few years ago to assist our family’s with this misconception we put together a power point presentation with facts from the Girl Scout program. Our families really appreciated this. One comment I do have is that I feel it is moving away from rural girls.

4. Tammy W says:

Thank you thank you, thank you. Finally the record is set straight!

5. allison k says:

As a girl scout co-leader, I appreciate the message this letter and the video sends, but I have to say I am disappointed that it was pointed out multiple times that “Girl Scouts of the USA and Girl Scouts River Valleys do not have relationships with Planned Parenthood.”

By calling out this particular organization and purposefully distancing yourself from it it seems you are directly contradicting two of your other statements: that “Girl Scouts does not endorse any political party or politicians, nor do we endorse or promote any specific social agenda.” “Girl Scouts does not take a position on reproductive issues. We believe that these are matters that are best discussed within the family.”

I believe this message would have been much more powerful without the statement about Planned Parenthood.

Proud to be a part of this inclusive, secular organization: Allison K.

6. Michelle Tripp says:

As a former scout and Leader, I too was disappointed that Chavez called out that Girl Scouts does not have any relationship or political agenda related to Planned Parenthood. I think the message could have been better articulated by describing GS as a secular, community service organization without any political or religious agenda.Period.
    GS is and must be inclusive because we are a secular, community service non-profit (not a religious non-profit organization). I am proud of my affiliation with GS and the positive impact we have on young women everywhere.

7. Rynn Burke says:

I am grateful for the misinformation campaign as it called me to join and renew my Girt Scout ties. we are strong together.

8. Verona kruse says:

Even though you express denial, I do believe GS’s of America has joined the flock of sheep following the popular politically correct agenda that has become pervasive in our society.
    You best pause & take a good look as you are on a slippery slope messing with our young minds.
    Concerned Grandmother

9. Verona kruse says:

What happened to the comment I just submitted March 10,2017 @ 3:12 PM. Did you remove it as not in agreement with you agenda? If so-Shame on you & I will go further with this unless you post it
    Concerned Grandmother