Almost everyone knows Girl Scout Cookies, but some don’t realize that the Girl Scout Cookie Program is the largest girl-run business in the world.
Through learning by earning, Girl Scouting aims to empower girls through the development of five cookie skills:
- Goal setting
- Money management
- People skills
- Business ethics
The skills that girls learn through the Girl Scout Cookie Program are an important ingredient in the Girl Scout Leadership Experience.
Key Research Findings
The Girl Scout Research Institute recently examined best practices for developing the five cookie skills as well as how girls benefit from the Cookie Program
Here are just a few of the findings:
Learning the five cookie skills makes a real impact.
- Girls who developed the five skills through the Cookie Program were more likely to report that they learned new skills while selling cookies that will help them in school and other areas of their life.
- Girls who developed these skills were more likely to report cookie selling was fun.
Most Girl Scout cookie entrepreneurs develop these important skills.
- More than 8 in 10 girls gained money management skills by developing budgets, taking cookie orders, and handling money.
- 80 percent of girls developed goal-setting skills by creating goals and developing a team plan to reach those goals.
Specific Girl Scout experiences can make the difference.
Girls developed more of the five cookie skills when they:
- Attended troop or group meetings about selling cookies.
- Practiced how to sell Girl Scout Cookies with their friends and family.
- Worked toward the Cookie Business and Financial Literacy Badges.
When girls participate in the Girl Scout Cookie Program, they not only learn many great things for themselves, but they also help sister Girl Scouts and their communities while having fun. The Girl Scout Cookie Program gives girls real-world opportunities to manage money, become ethical and reliable entrepreneurs, set goals, meet deadlines, work well with others, and understand customers.
If you’d like to learn more, you can view the whole report here.